Thursday, July 17, 2008

Max's adoption day!



What a great day! This morning we went before Judge Murch and finalized Max's adoption. I am so happy. The boys did great and they got Sheriff stickers from the bailiffs. Of course, they both ripped them within about 10 minutes, so I got a couple more on the way out. In the courtroom, Caleb told the Judge, "This is my brother." It was so cute. The Judge had a "script" that he read from talking about our responsibilities, etc and he also told Caleb that he has a responsibility to be a good big brother and a good example. It was a great experience.



Our case worker, Kem, got about a month waived from the time Max had to be in our home and so we came in 2 days before Max was with us for 6 months. He is 18 months old today. What a great present for us all.




I really wish we had done the ceremony with Caleb's adoption. The courthouse was still under construction because of the stupid guy who drove into it and our attorney said we probably wouldn't even get an office or courtroom, just someone out in the hall. I have a feeling he just didn't want to put any more time into it. Our attorney this time, Susan Cook, was wonderful. We didn't have to push or prod the office along and she was genuinely happy to be there with us and for us. When we do this again, we'll definitely call her.

We've set the sealing date at the Portland temple for September 6th. Kim's mom and step-dad, from Sweden, are going to be here in the States for a vacation and the timing really worked out, so we pushed it back a little. They are flying here and will stay for almost 4 days. They are staying with us and I'm a little nervous. I've never met them. Kim hasn't seen her for about 20 years. He saw her last while he was on his mission. Kim is really excited and I'm happy for him. I'm hoping Brooke and Shawn will do Sam's blessing that same weekend so family won't have to choose which to attend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Kim told his dad that his mom may be here for the open house and Dad said "Well, maybe we'll come see you for your birthday instead." Kim's birthday is on August 15th. I can imagine it would be a little uncomfortable for the both of them. I guess we'll see what happens. Dad hasn't been here at all since we moved to Oregon. He and Irma couldn't make it for Caleb's open house. I hope they come.

Now, we've got to get busy finishing up projects around the house so it looks good for the open house and family visits. With it being so hot lately, I've been doing a lot of sitting around in front of a fan. No more of that - too much to do! I'd better make a list.
Over all, a wonderful day at the Westbye's. I am so happy. I am so blessed.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Amy, I'm so happy for you all! It must feel wonderful to have all the paperwork, etc. behind you and to be able to look forward to being sealed. Good luck with all your projects.